Skip to Main Content
Search Module- Intermediate: quick links
Point of care tools (Summaries & Guidelines)
TRIP (Turning Research Into Practice)
A clinical search engine designed to allow users to quickly and easily find and use high-quality research evidence to support their practice and/or care. As well as research evidence, clinicians can search across other content types including images, videos, patient information leaflets, educational courses and news.
Point of care clinical decision support resource covering 25 specialties.
Databases & search engines (Single studies)
Ovid Medline tips & tricks
- * or $
- at the end of string retrieves all suffix variations
- e.g., computer* retrieves computer, computers, computerised, etc.
- within a word or at end of word to replace a single character
- e.g., wom#n retrieves woman, women
- within a word or at the end of a word to replace zero or one character
- e.g., colo?r retrieves color, colour
- No quotes generally required for phrase searching, looks for exact expression by default
- ( )
- specifies the order of the search
- e.g., (urban OR city) AND freshwater
- retrieves records that contain your terms (in any order) within a specified number (n) of words of each other
- n= 1 to 99
- e.g., biologist adj5 relationship retrieves records that contain the words biologist and relationship within five words of each other in either order.
MeSH terms Explode SH expands results to include records with the SH you originally selected, PLUS all of the subject headings in its family hierarchy
e.g., exp diabetes mellitus/
Focus SH retrieves article records in which indexers consider your topic to be of major significance
e.g., exp *diabetes mellitus/
Subheadings are used to further describe a particular aspect of a subject heading concept.
Terms such as "etiology" or "therapy," when combined with a subject heading, give a precise idea of what an article covers.
Use a subheading when it matches one of your concepts, otherwise include them all.
e.g. use urinary tract infections/prevention and control when looking for articles about preventing UTIs