Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Library services and spaces re-opening
As of September 1, most Library branches, including the stack areas, will be accessible to current McGill students, faculty, and staff. Visit the hours webpage for a full listing of opening and service hours.
Further to Quebec government and university directives, procedural masks will continue to be required in all Library branches. For more information, please visit Library services & spaces re-opening.
Creating your search strategy
Checking if the literature is peer-reviewed
This site is useful in helping you determine if you're looking at a peer reviewed journal when you're unsure.
Download the virtual private network
If you need to access resource from the McGill Library while off campus, make sure you have the virtual private network (VPN) downloaded and installed.
The VPN will recognize that you are a McGill student and allow you to access the same things as if you were on campus and using the internet here.
The link and instructions for the download can be found here.
Searching for research articles
- Web of Science (multidisciplinary) - includes how many times an article has been cited and who cited it
- Scopus (multidisciplinary) - includes how many times an article has been cited and who cited it, along with news & social media mentions.
- PubMed (medicine) - best general database for all subjects related to medicine.
- Compendex (engineering) - best general database for all subjects related to engineering.
- PsychInfo (Psychology) - best database for all articles related to topics in psychology
Searching for newspaper and magazine articles
- News & Newspapers (ProQuest) - includes current and historical newspapers from different countries
- Magazines - Use this link to search for any popular magazines we may have subscriptions to (i.e. "Scientific American" or Science)