Skip to main content
Sources for Background Information
Searching the Library Catalogue
Use the basic word(s) anywhere or advanced keyword search in the library catalogue. You can search using words like - antibiotic, biochem?, molecul?, etc.
Search tips for the library catalogue
||e.g. medic? will retrieve catalogue records containing the words medicine, medical, medics, etc.
||e.g. "One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest" will retrieve catalogue records containing the phrase One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
||(), AND, OR, NOT
|e.g. literature and (physicians or doctors) will retrieve catalogue records containing the word literature and either physicians or doctors
Search the Library Catalogue
You can also browse the Catalogue, or the shelves of the Osler Library at the following call numbers (note that there are a few items in the Life Sciences Library as well)
|N to NC
||Medicine in the visual arts, architecture, drawing and illustration
||Art and literature as related to psychiatry
||Medicine as depicted in art and literature
||Literary and artistic works by physicians and other association items
Core and additional databases
Selected Internet Sites
- Art Annotations A listing of artists and their works related to medical themes, with links to digital images of the described works.
- Film Annotations Films listed by title dealing with aspects of medicine, health and disability.
- Image Collections A listing of sites and databases of visual images related to medicine and medical history maintained by the Osler Library of the History of Medicine, McGill University.
- Literature Annotations Literary works listed by author and title.
- Medical Humanities New York University's list of links to sites about medicine related to the arts and humanities, including journals, databases and societies.
- Recent Dissertations in the Medical Humanities Index of dissertations organised by topics, such as "Art and Medicine" and "Literature/Theatre and Art". Please check Proquest Dissertations and Theses using the link above to look for the full text of items listed here.
- Roster of Physician Writers An annotated list of physicians who have published at least one book of creative writing.
- Global Alliance for Arts & Health A non-profit U.S. organization dedicated to advancing arts as integral to healthcare.