Skip to main content
This guide lists sources of background information, current news and statements from relevant groups, and resources for further research on the Quebec student movement of 2011-2012 and related topics. It is a work in progress and is meant to be used critically, so suggestions are welcome. For now, the annotations are in English, but the resources are both French and English. Pour le moment, les annotations sont en anglais, mais les ressources sont tant en anglais qu'en français.
Special sections covering the Quebec student movement:
Search across many newspapers at once for current and historical stories related to the student movement and related topics.
Locating Scholarly Articles
Journal articles and special issues
Analysis of the current movement will not widely found in scholarly materials yet, but articles databases can be used to find scholarship on past student action, education in Quebec, and related social movements. Here are some recommeneded databases:
Related books and reports (print copies in the McGill Library unless otherwise noted)
- Behiels, Michael D., and Matthew Hayday. 2011. Contemporary Quebec: Selected Readings and Commentaries. Montréal: McGill-Queen's University Press.
- Hamel, Pierre. 1991. Action collective et démocratie locale: les mouvements urbains montréalais. Montréal: Presses de l'Université de Montréal.
- Hammond-Callaghan, Marie, and Matthew Hayday. 2008. Mobilizations, Protests and Engagements: Canadian Perspectives on Social Movements. Black Point, Nova Scotia: Fernwood.
- Lacroix, Robert, and Michel Trahan. 2007. Le Québec et les droits de scolarité universitaire. Montréal, Québec: Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en analyse des organisations. Free online [PDF]
- Neatby, Nicole. 1999. Carabins ou activistes?: l'idéalisme et la radicalisation de la pensée étudiante à l'Université de Montréal au temps du duplessisme. Montréal: McGill-Queen's University Press.
- Staggenborg, Suzanne. 2012. Social Movements. Don Mills, Ontario: Oxford University Press.
- Online publications related to education in Quebec (French only) from l’Institut de recherche et d’informations socio-économiques
Encyclopedias and bibliographies
Quebec government information related to tuition for higher education
- Quebec government-sponsored website on post-secondary tuition issues: English and French
- Comité consultatif sur l'accessibilité financière aux études (Advisory Committee on the Financial Accessibility of Education). A committee of Quebec's Conseil supérieur de l'éducation: English and French
- Quebec Bill 78 (2012, chapter 12), originally presented in English: "An Act to enable students to receive instruction from the postsecondary institutions they attend." English [PDF] and French [PDF]
- Quebec National Assembly webpage for Bill 78: English and French
- Mouvement des étudiants socialement responsables du Québec (Quebec Movement of Socially Responsible Students) (French)
- Gratuite Scolaire.info: Informational site about accessible education (French)
- Stop the Hike / Bloquons la hausse: website run by CLASSE
- Tuition Truth: developed by the Students’ Society of McGill University. (English only, not updated recently)
- Greve 2012: Guide that compiles news, background information, multimedia, etc. from a Quebec student (French)
- Recomposition blog: post that gives an overview of Quebec student movement (English)
- CounterPunch article on the student movement (English)
- Bloquons la rentrée: brief website calling for a return to the strike in August 2012 (Arabic, English, French, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish)
- Lengthy report on the strike, up to August 2012, from CrimethInc ("Ex-Workers Collective"). Includes a chronology of events, defintions of terms and actors, videos, etc.
Quebec student unions and federations
All sites contain information about the movement's origins, position statements, news, links, and materials such as videos and pamphlets. The sites are in French unless otherwise noted.
The movement on:
Related Subject Guides